.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

B-Fly: An Oz Blog

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Hi, are you incompetent? Then, yes, of course I want to work with you....

Oy, I knew today was going to be "interesting" but I had no idea it would be quite so much "fun." Today was the first day of this competition we're running @ work and I was supposed to receive a mini DV tape with 12 bands' performances at 10am. I was supposed to edit 12 vids (one of each band), convert them to mpgs, upload them, get the corresponding band photos (received separately today), test the comp form again, update the website in about 6 places, etc, by noon. Two hours of fun!

Welp, by 10am, not only did I not have the video tape, but I could not even get ahold of the band guy who was supposed to organise this for me. I rang his mobile like a stalker in heat, but no answer, no voicemail, no nothin'.

Eventually he calls me, having no idea I'd been stalking him, because apparently he'd left his mobile in the toilet (bathroom to you yanks). Whatever, dude!

I ask where the tape is + point out it is after 10. He does not have the tape. A guy in Redfern has a tape. But it's not ready yet. Woo-HOO!

After many phone calls, the tape is ready at 11am. My lovely co-worker agrees to drive me to Redfern to pick it up. Unfortunately, what could have been a 15 minute trip took like an hour due too many of sydney's luscious one way streets, stupid train tracks that we had to drive suburbs around and one directionally challenged call on my part. We actually drove right by the place the first time, but realised it too late (there were even + odd numbered buildings on the same side of the street cause one street became another) and it took freaking forever to go around + come back again.

When we got back to the office, it was noon - the time all this was supposed to be online. Yay! I frantically plugged in all the appropriate camera cables, opened the editing program, and tried my best. I was a little nervous cuz I'd never actually used this program before + only had one quickie how-to session earlier in the week.

I tried and tried, but could not get the audio happening + I was pretty sure I had all the cables right. I was really hoping that it was just me being stupid, but alas no. After all that struggle to even get the freaking tape, it had no audio on it. Only video. It was just too late to do anything else at this point, so I had to put up the silent vids of each band. ARGH! How annoying! The whole point was that people who did not see/hear the bands live couldd listen + vote for their favourite. DOH!

And I get to go through this all again tomorrow + saturday! There better be some freaking audio tomorrow. I just kept using my mantra a la Costanza - "serenity now!" ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home