.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

B-Fly: An Oz Blog

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

The Tsunami

As many times as they keep playing the footage of the tsunami hitting different coasts of the affected countries over and over again on the news, it's still so shocking to me. I just keep thinking of all the families out there that don't exist anymore or have been halved or have lost members - it's insane. There's one piece of footage in particular where you see one wave hit and everyone thinks it's kinda funny, like when people at the beach would laugh when the tide starts to come in and think "ooops, gotta get your shoes outta the way so they don't get wet!" And people are laughing and excited or relaxed, having no idea that seconds later they would be drowning. :-(

The numbers of people already dead from the tsunami and the numbers of people who are going to die from water borne disease or starvation - it's astounding. I'm making a donation to the Red Cross, but that amounts to jack shit of what these people really need. It's only the very least of what I can do. I have so much admiration and respect for all those people who are actually over there helping in so many different ways. I really hope all the fund-raising efforts show people being even more generous than expected. The idea of so many more people dying after what's already happened is so scary.

I feel dumb posting my stupid Xmas story tonight, but maybe tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home