.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

B-Fly: An Oz Blog

Wednesday, January 09, 2002

A tale of vegemite...

I forgot to write this up on Friday, but I went to the new little cafe near our office to get some vegemite toast for me and some food for my co-workers. The guy looked at me strangely and asked "Who is this vegemite toast for?" I said it was for me and he shook his head and said, "But aren't you British?" I was surprised. My American accent may have toned down slightly since I've been living here, but I certainly shouldn't be mistaken for being British. (Actually, a woman who worked at this other sandwich shop thought I was British too, but she wasn't the brightest bulb in the box.)

I told the guy that I was in fact American and he looked at me for a while and said, "But Americans don't eat this stuff!" And I said, "Yeah, I know, but it's taken me me two years to like it!" He was amazed. So there you go.. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home